Monday, 27 August 2007

An Unwelcome Visitor ...

Yesterday was a fairly quiet day for me. I got up at 5am to get ready to assist my club, PDAC with registration for their 10 and 21.1km race. I wasn't racing as I had a rather stiff ans sore back. Once I had finished with registration I sorted and rolled up socks for the participants and then tallied up all the boxes of money. I helped the tea ladies cut up the cake for the athletes and then came home.



I worked on a collage that I am doing for a friend's daughters 21st. At about 13h30 Dereck went out to his friend, Darryl's place to watch the Grand Prix. At about 14h10 while I was in my study the dogs started barking frantically (the sound when someone or something is there). My heart jumped into my mouth as I thought someone was in the house. Imagine my horror when I came through to the lounge and saw this ......

Anyone who knows me well, knows that I have a total fear of snakes, including the toy plastic ones!!! I was due to go to a Tupperware Party at my friend Karen's house at 15h00 and there was this snake in my house with no-one to help me. I managed to get the dogs away from it as once I came into the lounge they were trying to get it. I phoned Dereck, who was by now in Glenashley and knew that he could not come and help me, but I had to tell him. He informed me that I must get a broom and let it hook onto the broom and then just take it outside - me get a snake on a broom!!! what if it turns round and comes up the broom?? While I was talking to Dereck, the snake turned around and started looking at me - that just did it!! I tried to phone my brother, Malcolm who lives in New Germany, but they were out. I phoned Grant to see what time he was coming home and that was only going to be later. As I went a little closer to see this snake, it turned around and slithered behind my wall unit. Ok cook - now how was I going to do anything and with me going out, it might have come out of there and then anywhere in our house! I tried sliding some newspaper along the wall whilst shining my cell phone light onto it, but it just curled up tighter into the very very small space. Time was fleeting and I went to get changed and when I came back, its head was sticking out from behind the wall unit, but facing into the lounge. When it saw me it went behind the unit again. I locked the dogs outside and went to my Tupperware party and when Dereck got home he sent me an sms and informed me the snake was not behind the unit!! I told him he just had to keep looking for it! I then got another sms stating that he had found the snake. It has slithered accross our door and was in the opposite corner behind the curtain and Jemma our sausage dog had sniffed it out. Dereck put it onto the broom and very kindly took it out into the garden where it very quickly climed up the Yellow-wood tree. Relief!! In between all this, I just had to take a photo - don't know what I would have done if it had slithered towards me!!!!

Snaked out signing off ....

4 comments:

Desire Fourie said...

Now this looks like a seriouslyn looooong snake as well as an adult snake that could inflict serious harm. I feel for you. You must have experienced a serious adrenalin rush which probably went off the richter scale as to speak. Very relieved that hubby tracked it down and sent it into the yellow wood tree. Have you determined what type of snake this is and whether it is poisonous? If it is poisonous, perhaps it should be displaced a but further than the local yellow tree ....

Anonymous said...

It was a harmless Variegated or Spotted bush snake !!

Dereck

See below

Spotted Bush Snake
Philothamnus Semivariegatus

This very slender snake with a flat, distinct head and a long tail is found in suitable open forest or bush country, often far removed from water. It is a graceful, swift-moving snake and, in its natural environment is extremely difficult to spot or follow with the eye. It can easily negotiate upright tree-trunks or similar vertical surfaces. Although normally tree-living, it is also quite at home on the ground. Its normal diet consists mainly of tree lizards, such as gekkos and chameleons. When cornered it puts up a great show of ferocity by distending the neck vertically and striking out viciously. This species is also known as the Green Speckled, Banded or Variegated Bush or Wood Snake.

nuttylee said...

OMG!! I can only imagine how u reacted. Am having a laugh at the thought actually (I get that sick sense of hmour from you!!) Glad it was all taken care of.

Sophia said...

Glad to hear all is well, I too have a phobia about snakes, whenever one comes in the house, I tell hubby he has to come home now and get rid of it...lol