Wednesday, 23 January 2008

Scrapday at Makaranga

Well, what can I say... it was fantastic! Starting on Friday, I collected Desire from the airport and went home to load the car with all the goodies for the day. Dereck packed his car as well and we met him there. But, we made a detour at Desire's old work (Alexander Cox) to collect a parcel. Dereck in the meantime had got to Makaranga and couldn't find us, so he just carried on along what he thought was the road only to be chased by a staff member stating that the pathway was for the wheelchairs. He said he had wondered why the road got narrower!!!

While Desire was unpacking her things in her room, she gave me a rather heavy present - to say thank you for all my assistance. On opening this rather heavy present, inside was a beautiful hardcover Sasol book of South African birds as well a soft cover one and a Making Memories holder for stickers, rub ons etc. Talk about being spoilt - Desire, I really appreciate the gift and it is my pleasure to be of assistance.

Anyway once all packed out, we started to set up and at about 3:30 we had a toasted sarmie for lunch. We carried on until about 7:30 and then I went home.

Saturday, I was at Makaranga just before 6:00 (forgetting that there was no traffic and catching Desire not quite dressed!!). We had a cup of complimentary hot chocolate and sat on the verandah of her room taking in the view.

The next lot of delegates arrived - Shelley, at about 6:15 whereafter we went down to our venue.

As people arrived, the made a beeline to the shoppe and this was one of my duties for the day - to man the shoppe. Well, I was certainly kept busy and in no time quite a bit of the stock was booked. During the day the delegates came and added things to their packs and in the afternoon I totalled up for them.

We had a Herma Speed Queen competition, gave out keytags with quotes and a chocolate, set of sticker quotes and a new stencil.

Lunch was a buffet which was most yummy.

At about 5pm the delegates started packing away and then was the job of packing away the shoppe, so that I could keep the left overs for the next Scrapday on 14 June.

While Desire and Shelley discussed some accounting things, I sat watching some Ducks swimming in the swimming pool while sipping on a lovely cool drink.

For more details and pictures of the Scrapday, please visit Desire's blog -

On Sunday morning Desire invited me for breakfast and we sat on the verandah watching the birds and a few lizzards, and chatted. At about 10:00 I took her to the airport.

It was great to see her again and catch up on all the news about her new house in JHB.

I will edit this and post a few pictures later.

Doing Life assistant signing off ...

1 comment:

Desire Fourie said...

What a nice write-up, chronologically and fact correct - as is always expected from Michelle. So it seems apart from all your extensive duties you also enjoyed the day. Also glad you appreciated the tranquility of the venue which, as always, is breathtaking. Beware of 14 June ...! It was an honour to have you as Doing Life's Assistant.