Monday, 19 October 2009

My Poor Car - 17 October 2009

On Saturday I had taken Dereck down to the rugby. Grant and Lauren were also going, but not as early as Dereck, so they left at about 1pm and took my car as Dereck would have met them after the game to get a lift home, saving me having to go back to fetch him. A few minutes after they left, I got a phone call from Grant saying "mom, I have just crashed your car into a wall down Lesley Drive - I am so sorry". I can't tell you how I felt, as I still don't know how I feel. I had been busy making my lunch and just quickly grabbed my cell, got the keys, locked the dogs inside the house and walked (very fast) down the road to see where they were. I was so relieved to see both Lauren and Grant were okay (just a bit shook up). As he was braking he hit some water on the road and lost control and as he tried to right himself, I think oversteered and went across the road onto some soft, muddy grass and straight into the wall. We helped the owners of the property to put up some blocks to keep their dogs in and then Grant tied up all the parts with string so that we could drive the car home. I made Grant drive home and I walked. All the outside parts except the bonnet are plastic so hopefully it won't be too long before I have my car back again. This is a close up of the inside where you can see how the bumper bent.

The airbags were not released, so it wasn't too bad an impact. I think if this had happened many years ago, I would have been angry, irritated, annoyed, but I am not. My thinking is that accidents happen, the car is a material item which can be fixed with a bit of an inconvenience and the most important thing is that Grant and Lauren were not injured at all. They say most accidents happen close to home - well this was probably 500m away from our home.
It was towed away today directly to the panel beater and we will hear tomorrow what the cost of the repairs is and how long it will take.
No car signing off ....

1 comment:

Desire Fourie said...

As you say, the car is just a material item and lives are the most important. Well, they do say that most accidents happen close to home. Good luck getting around without wheels.
Hugs
Desire